VIRGINIA’S BEST RETIREMENT COMMUNITY
HOW TO CHOOSE THE ONE THAT’S RIGHT FOR YOU
It’s important to compare Virginia retirement communities before you decide on the best one. Before touring in person, you can get a feel for what’s offered by browsing websites. When you’ve narrowed the choices, you just have to get out there and see for yourself.
Active adults in the market for a Virginia retirement home have at least one advantage over younger, less experienced buyers. They know what they want and need in a home, what they refuse to compromise on, and what amenities they require.
Here’s a checklist of criteria that may help you make a choice. If you find all these conditions in one place, you may have found your new home.
Your Virginia retirement community should have:
- An attractive, impressive, and welcoming entrance
- Well designed architecture that reflects and enhances its surroundings
- Carefully tended and well designed landscaping
- A location convenient to top-rated medical facilities
- A location convenient to shopping, theaters, restaurants, places of worship, and recreational facilities
- An activities and events program that attracts full resident participation
- Fitness Center and Social Center with a friendly, responsive staff
- Resident voice in decisions about the community
- Varied recreational opportunities for varied abilities and interests
- Friendly residents eager to welcome new neighbors and help them acclimate
- High speed internet access (such as Verizon FiOS)
- Responsive maintenance services, including snow removal, tree service, pool and tennis court maintenance
- Homes with features that support aging in place
- Builders willing to support buyers beyond their homes’ settlement dates
One very important criterion is ease of travel to and from the community. Many residents of Shenandoah’s Active Adult community say they were first drawn to Shenandoah because of its location in the Eastern corridor, within easy driving distance of New York, Washington, Philadelphia, and Richmond. The community is minutes from Interstate 81, running north and south, and from Interstate 66, running east and west. Just a short hop, and you’re on the way to see the world!